Even in the 21st century, Indian society is characterized by a highly entrenched system of social stratification. These social inequalities created the barriers of denial of access to materials, cultural and educational resources to the disadvantaged groups of society. These disadvantaged groups are SCs, STs, women, OBC (non-creamy layer), minorities and physically challenged persons. Since higher education is a tool for social and economic equality, the UGC has been addressing national concerns of access, equality while ensuring the standard of quality and relevance of education by implementing policies of the Government of India and promoting several schemes and programmes for the disadvantaged groups that would help in eliminating social disparities.
The SC/ST Cell & Equal Opportunity Cell monitors various university and government schemes for the welfare of the SC/ST students, and a body functions in the College. The Cell safeguards the interest of SC/ST, OBC, women, physically challenged, and minority students and oversees the effective implementation of policies and programs for disadvantaged groups. In addition, it seeks to provide guidance and counselling with respect to academic, financial, social and other matters and to create an atmosphere of Equal Opportunity through awareness generation programmes.
Aims and Objectives:
- To ensure equity and equal opportunity to the community at large in the College and bring about social inclusion.
- To enhance the diversity among the students, teaching and non-teaching staff population and at the same time eliminate the perception of discrimination.
- To create a socially congenial atmosphere for academic interaction and healthy interpersonal relationships among the students coming from various social backgrounds.
- To make efforts to sensitize the academic community regarding the problems associated with social exclusion and aspirations of the marginalized communities.
- To help individuals or a group of students belonging to the disadvantaged section of society to contain the problems related to discrimination.
- To look into the grievances of the weaker sections of society and suggest an amicable solution to their problems.
- To disseminate the information related to schemes and programmes for the welfare of the socially weaker section as well as notifications/memoranda, office orders of the Government, or other related agencies/organizations issued from time to time.
- To prepare barrier-free formalities/procedures for admission/ registration of students belonging to the disadvantaged groups of society.
- To establish coordination with the Government and other agencies/organizations to mobilize academic and financial resources to assist students of the disadvantaged groups.
- To organize periodic meetings to monitor the progress of different schemes.
- To adopt measures to ensure a due share of utilization by SC/ST in admissions, recruitments (teaching and non-teaching posts), and improve their performances.
- To sensitize the College on the problems of SC/ST and other disadvantaged groups.